• Home
  • The Wren Building Framed

The Wren Building Framed

(0) No Reviews yet
$105.00

Sorry! Out of stock now, we will ship when available.

  • Giclée print of watercolor landscape painting
  • By Williamsburg artist Marcia Long
  • Features the College of William and Mary's Wren Building
  • Matted and in gold frame
  • Glass front
  • 11"L x 9"W
  • WILLIAMSBURG exclusive!
  • In-stock items ship in 2-3 business days. Shipping prices are provided at checkout. Standard Shipping will arrive via USPS or FEDEX. See item description for information on terms and conditions.
    Reproduced from an original watercolor by Williamsburg artist Marcia Long, this beautiful giclée print offers the perfect opportunity to bring your favorite memories of Williamsburg into your home.

    The College of William and Mary's Christopher Wren Building is the oldest academic structure still in use in America. Construction on the building began August 8, 1695, two years after the school was chartered; it is the signature building of the second oldest college in the nation (next to Harvard). Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Tyler, and John Marshall studied in its rooms. George Washington was once chancellor of the college, which is now a distinguished university.

    Three times destroyed by fire, the appearance of the brick-walled Wren Building has often changed, but it stands today much as it appeared by 1732. It was the first major building restored by John D. Rockefeller Jr., after he began Williamsburg's restoration in the late 1920s.

    Beautifully matted, set under glass, and framed in gold, this image is part of series created by Long to capture the gracious landscape of Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area.
    Throughout the colonial period, the College of William and Mary was the center of higher education in Virginia. The oldest academic building still in use in America, the Wren Building bears the name of the distinguished English architect, Sir Christopher Wren, who may possibly have influenced its original design. Construction began in 1695. The building's front and its north wing, which contains a great hall, were completed by 1700. The chapel wing was added in 1732.

    Although fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862 did serious damage, the massive exterior walls of the Wren Building are largely original. The Wren Building now has the outward appearance that it showed from early in the 18th century until the fire of 1859. It was the first major Williamsburg structure to be restored by John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

    Ratings & Reviews

    No reviews available

    Be the first to Write a Review