W for William, M for Mary The intertwined initials of the royal couple for whom the college was named, sandcast and hand-finished in gleaming brass.
WILLIAMSBURG exclusive! 6"H x 8"W
Sandcast and Hand-Finished Brass
6 H x 8W
Incorporating the initials of the joint rulers of England from 1689 until Mary's death in 1694, the William and Mary trivet pays homage to the monarchs who figure so prominently in the history of Virginia and the city of Williamsburg.
In 1693 a royal charter and generous endowment were granted for the establishment of a college and construction of The College of William and Mary was undertaken at Middle Plantation, a small village later renamed Williamsburg in honor of the king.